Signs of Drunk Driving in Florida
According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, drunk driving is defined as, “ . . . one offense, proved by impairment of normal faculties or unlawful blood alcohol or breath alcohol level of .08 or above.”
The following are just some of the signs that could indicate someone is driving while drunk in Florida:
- taking very wide turns;
- weaving across the road, lanes or onto the shoulder;
- nearly striking or actually striking something (curb, tree, another vehicle);
- following someone too closely;
- sudden and unwarranted braking;
- signaling one direction but going another;
- straddling the center lane;
- stopping when unnecessary (such as at a green light);
- driving at night without headlights;
- driving excessively slow;
- abrupt or illegal turns; and
- driving on the wrong side of the road.
It’s important to note that some of these driving behaviors could have been for reasons other than drinking. It may be that someone accidentally made a wrong turn and didn’t realize they were on the incorrect side of the road. Or the person completely forgot to turn on his/her headlights. Even if this is the case, it’s important not to overreact if pulled over.
If an officer does suspect drunk driving and makes a traffic stop, the officer can request that a field sobriety test be taken. Since Florida is under implied consent laws, refusing to do so could result in the suspension of one’s driver’s license. It can also end up being used as evidence against the defendant later on in court.
Our Florida DUI Defense Attorney Can Help
One defense for an accused drunk driver would be that there wasn’t reasonable suspicion and therefore no just cause for the traffic stop. A defendant may argue that none of the usual signs of drunk driving were present.
Whatever the circumstances, the best thing to do in order to protect one’s legal rights is to secure help from an knowledgeable and experienced Florida DUI defense attorney. Contact The Law Offices of Robert David Malove to set up your consultation. We can assist clients who have been arrested for drunk driving and are facing charges and potential penalties for their DUI case.