Things got a little out of hand. Tempers flared. Maybe there was a push, a shove, a slap. And now you’re facing domestic violence charges. Allegations of domestic violence are serious and should not be taken lightly.
The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence reports that nearly 10 million women and men are victims of domestic assault each year. There's a lot of press about these victims and the laws that protect them. Unfortunately, there are also victims of false accusations of domestic violence. It's the job of a good domestic violence lawyer to prove what actually happened and protect the innocent.
We Can Help You Fight False Allegations of Domestic Violence
You may not even remember how the whole thing started. All you know is you need it to go away. A domestic violence lawyer can establish the timeline and alibi necessary to prove your innocence in court. Our attorneys have years of experience defending individuals who were falsely accused. Talk to us if you're facing unfair charges of domestic violence.
While we're not in the business of defending true violent abusers, we do know that certain cases can be fraught with misunderstanding. Some of the most common defenses for people wrongly charged are the following:
- The burden of proof falls on the prosecutor and their client. If the prosecutor is unable to provide sufficient proof of the violence, the case could fall apart. This is one reason it's so important to hire the right defense—one who knows how to poke holes in the other side's story.
- Self-defense is one of the most common reasons for false accusations. In some instances, the accused had to react in defense of themselves or their children. For example, if a woman were to threaten a man with a weapon, it's within reason that he would need to defend himself. The story can be misconstrued.
We'll thoroughly investigate your case and develop the most effective possible defense strategy when you're falsely accused. We understand relationships are complicated and that emotions can cloud decision-making. You can trust us to get to the bottom of the situation to discover what really happened.
Don’t Underestimate the Importance of a Solid Defense
When you're accused of domestic violence, finding the right attorney can be the difference between incarceration and freedom. You don’t want to rely on just anyone to protect your rights. We know what questions to ask and how to investigate these claims. Some points our domestic violence defense attorney will consider include the following:
- Is there enough evidence? Attorney Robert Malove will investigate whether the state has enough evidence against you. For example, is there a 911 tape? Did you make any statements?
- Is there medical evidence? Did the alleged victim seek medical treatment? Were there witnesses? Were any pictures taken? Are there doctors and nurses who will testify? Were you taking any medication that could have prompted an adverse reaction and caused you to lash out?
- Was there a change in story or resolution? Is the charge a result of bona fide domestic violence or was the incident exaggerated? Has the victim already recanted their story and mended the relationship? Has this ever happened before?
You can rest assured we know what questions to ask and how to get to the truth.
The Stakes Are High in a Domestic Violence Case
Mr. Malove believes that many of these cases are based on false accusations and distorted facts. Deliberate false accusations may be made to manipulate the system. We see these types of accusations when the parties are fighting over child custody and even divorce. It's a sad truth that many people file domestic violence charges out of spite against the other party.
Even when you know the truth and you know you didn’t abuse anyone, don’t ignore the charges. It's important to hire the right attorney to protect your reputation and freedom.
Mr. Malove masterfully defends domestic violence charges and knows a weak case from a strong one. Often, he successfully obtains a dismissal of all charges or no jail time for his client. You don’t have to be defenseless. You're not alone. When you're falsely charged with domestic abuse in South Florida, Robert Malove is the attorney you want on your side.